The 1st Annual BCGG Garden Party on August 7th was a resounding success as it provided gardeners and non-gardeners of all age groups fun and socializing on a perfect summer day. Set up was accomplished by a hardworking team consisting of Rudy, Kathy, Adrian, Paul, Linda, Ric, Barry and Sue.
- Cheri Macaulay welcomed visitors on behalf of of the BCA, Druh Farrell brought greetings from City Hall and Ric McIver dropped by later in the day as well.
- Photographing events kept Elaine Stringer, Brentwood resident and Social Worker from the Community and Neighborhood Services, North Office and Adrian busy.
- Everyone enjoyed mingling with one another, checking out the garden itself and/or taking part in some of the activities, many of which were provided courtesy of Aaron Taylor and Elaine Stringer of Community and Neighborhood Services, North Office.
- Peter 'N Pals provided musical entertainment while there was mini-golf, Wii/Guitar Hero to provide active participation.
- Dance and fitness demos from Absolute Fitness had volunteers engage in Hip Hop, Pilates/Stretch and Mom 'N Tot fitness.
- Boat safety and info on fall courses courtesy of Bev and her associate from SWC Pool.
- Mural painting with Dean Stanton, artist, and Alan Horn from Calgary Urban Youth Worx
- Children and adult presentations by Janet Melrose of the Calgary Horticultural Society provided educational and active participation.
- Gardener Georgette led a group of children in a garden based activity for the younger set. Shawna Kunysz from Terrrrrific Face Painting and Entertainment created beautiful works of art on the children.
- The younger set were also gleeful when they won their choice of an indoor plant generously donated by Crowfoot Rona if they played the frisbee game.
- The food was a hit too, with attendees enjoying healthful offerings such as Coast to Coast Pizza, fruit & veggies donated by Calgary Co-Op and the BCGG. Linda's pita chips and Kathy & Neige's dips disappeared in a flash as did tempting homemade goodies and desserts courtesty of Linda, Kathy, Penny & Sue.
- Thirst quenching lemonade and water rounded out the refreshment offerings. Speaking of lemonade, 7 year old Soleil set up a lemonade stand selling it for $.50/glass then donating $15.00 to the BCGG.
- Calgary Volunteer Youth Corp provided volunteers who greeted people as they arrived, supervised the games, assisted with food service and helped the tired but happy BCGG team with tear down the equipment.
To everyone that helped and to everyone that attended the garden party a heartfelt thank you! Thanks to the Federation of Calgary Communities, The Calgary Foundation, The City of Calgary Parks and the 2010 Communtiy Footprint Program for providing funding which allowed the garden to be built!
More than 75 people signed the guest book, however, when Madelaine performed a count around 3 pm she found there were over 160 people present!
Hopefully this event inspires you to become involved in the Brentwood Community Gardening Group in some capacity. For plot rental info, contact Penny or Peter at 403-284-3323. To donate perrenials or sponsor the purchase of a fruit shrub or tree contact Linda at 403-282-5664. To join the organizing committee or volunteer for upcoming planting/construction or special events contact Sue at 403-289-4314 or firstname.lastname@example.org. With your help we can grow future Garden Parties and the Brentwood community even stronger and healthier!